If you’re looking for offbeat travel destinations in India that are less crowded and can be visited during the rainy season, here are a few options to consider:
- Munnar, Kerala: Known for its lush green tea plantations and misty hills, Munnar is a charming hill station that comes alive during the monsoon season. The rain-washed landscapes, waterfalls, and pleasant weather make it a great choice for a serene getaway.
- Coorg, Karnataka: Coorg, also known as the “Scotland of India,” is a picturesque destination with coffee plantations, mist-covered hills, and gushing waterfalls. The rainforest-like ambiance and cooler temperatures during the rainy season add to its appeal.
- Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu: Situated in the Western Ghats, Kodaikanal offers breathtaking views of valleys, lakes, and forests. The monsoon season brings out the beauty of its lush greenery and makes it an ideal time for nature walks and boat rides on the serene Kodai Lake.
- Cherrapunji, Meghalaya: Known as one of the wettest places on Earth, Cherrapunji experiences heavy rainfall throughout the year. The monsoon season adds to the charm with its cascading waterfalls, misty landscapes, and vibrant flora. The Living Root Bridges and Nohkalikai Falls are must-visit attractions.
- Wayanad, Kerala: Nestled amidst the Western Ghats, Wayanad offers a tranquil retreat during the monsoon season. The region is dotted with spice plantations, wildlife sanctuaries, and mist-covered mountains. Explore the lush green landscapes, visit the stunning Soochipara Falls, and indulge in local tribal culture.
- Udaipur, Rajasthan: While Rajasthan is known for its arid landscapes, Udaipur stands out as a charming city with its lakes and palaces. The monsoon season brings a refreshing change, as the lakes fill up and the surroundings turn lush green. Enjoy boat rides on Lake Pichola and visit the iconic City Palace.
- Shillong, Meghalaya: Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya, is a beautiful hill station known for its scenic landscapes, waterfalls, and pleasant climate. The monsoon season enhances its natural beauty, making it an ideal destination for exploring places like Umiam Lake, Elephant Falls, and the picturesque Laitlum Canyons.
Remember to check weather conditions and plan your activities accordingly during the rainy season. It’s always a good idea to carry rain gear, insect repellent, and suitable footwear for exploring these destinations.